Year 8 English
The theme of Year 8 English is Challenge. You are invited on the Hero’s Journey where you will explore how stories work, and discover what makes your favourite films, books and shows so great.
You will explore parallel worlds from science fiction and fantasy, and look at familiar worlds in new ways. You’ll meet characters from fiction and history, alien planets and those closer to home on Earth.
What do you do?
You will complete activities including:
- sharing favourite texts with fellow students
- sharing ideas with classmates and completing work in online lessons
- sharing and working on ideas in online forums
- helping improve your skills and those of other students through workshops and seminars
- making videos or presentations arguing an opinion on controversial issues
- studying novels, movies and internet texts
- make your own game to demonstrate an understanding of narrative structure.
What skills do you develop?
For Reading/Viewing, you will:
- explain and summarise texts
- develop your opinions
- analysis stories and themes
- use critical eyes and ears to identify the choices authors make.
Writing will allow you to develop various skills, including:
- expressing yourself through fictional, argumentative and informative texts
- writing a scene from the movie of your life
- inventing a story with different choices and endings.
For the Speaking and Listening component, you will:
- choose images and words to create an effect
- talk about ideas in class
- persuade others using rhetoric, logic and emotional appeals
- perform a voiceover for a video.
When looking at ethical capabilities in this subject, you will:
- discuss complex issues, where the right and wrong is not always clear
- consider and try to resolve different values and interests.
- Crow Country, Kate Constable
- Chocky, John Wyndham
- A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula Le Guin
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople, film directed by Taika Waititi
You must have access to the internet in order to access this course and attend online lessons.
Things you can do now
You will be able to access a copy of Hunt for the Wilderpeople in the course once you have access to it, but you may wish to obtain your own copy and view it prior to starting.
Hunt for the Wilderpeople, (film, 2016), director Taika Waititi
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.