Your role as a parent/carer
As a parent/carer you play a critical role in supporting your child with their learning. As part of our partnership approach to supporting students it is very important that you:
- Maintain a relationship with the school and teachers
- Encourage regular study times/routines
- Keep your expectations and your child’s expectations realistic
- Stay positive and supportive at all times
- Show interest in your child’s subjects and progress
- Know who your child’s Learning Advisor and subject teachers are
- Ensure that you and your child are familiar with important school dates
- Encourage independent learning. It is important to support and be there for your child, but allow your child to do their own work and make their own decisions regarding their learning programs.
To maximise the learning opportunities at VSV, it is very important that there is a holistic supportive environment for your child. This involves all those in the partnership being fully aware of their roles and responsibilities and ensuring that these are undertaken.
Supporting your child’s needs can be stressful and challenging at times for parents/carers. Please contact your child’s Learning Advisor or subject teacher(s) if you need support and guidance on how to best support your child’s learning.
We pride ourselves on high quality teaching at VSV and emphasise the importance of developing and maintaining a positive relationship with each of our students. We recognise that levels of support and involvement will vary according to child and family needs. We are highly experienced teachers who are committed to maximising the opportunities for each of our students.
The VSV Portal
The VSV Portal is an area for Parents, Carers and School Supervisors to view information about their student’s progress at VSV.
Parents, carers and school supervisors are able to:
- View the subjects their students are enrolled in
- View teacher contact details
- View assignment submissions received from the student
- View assignment submissions returned by the teacher
- Download Module Reports (Year F-10) and Interim Reports (Year 11-12) for each subject
- Download End of Semester Reports.
Accessing the VSV Portal
- Go to http://portal.distance.vic.edu.au
- Click on ‘register email address’
- Enter the email address that is registered at VSV and linked to your student; a confirmation email and password will be sent to you
- Go to the VSV Portal login page and enter your email and password.