Year 9-10 Design Technology (Food)
If you enjoy planning and preparing food, then this subject is for you. You will be led through stages of the design process where you will investigate, generate, plan, produce and evaluate design solutions to a range of design briefs. You will also develop an in-depth understanding of food, nutrition and sustainability.
What do you do?
In studying this subject you will:
- analyse a range of design briefs and follow the design process to create suitable design solutions
- develop and apply sequenced production plans when producing design solutions, making adjustments to plans when necessary
- complete practical productions following relevant safety and hygiene practices
- select and use appropriate equipment and technologies to produce high quality designed solutions
- analyse and evaluate designed solutions and processes
- use technology to record and share practical work.
What skills do you develop?
You will develop skills including:
- safe food handling and hygiene practices
- research and problem solving skills
- ability to analyse a range of design briefs and establish detailed criteria for success
- designing and planning meal options
- time management and organisational skills
- food preparation skills.
Students need to purchase and provide their own materials/ingredients, have access to a kitchen and provide photographic evidence of their practical work.
Note: Students who are travelling need to take into account access to ingredients and equipment.
Things you can do now
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.