Year 8 Science
Science is a way we acquire new knowledge. In Year 8 Science you will learn how to think like a scientist and apply your skills to new situations. You will investigate how Science plays a role in everyday life, and how culture and society has changed through new inventions and discoveries.
In Semester 1 you will:
- investigate the different types of cells and how cells become specialised
- explore the various states of matter and its relation to elements and compounds
- conduct a science inquiry project
- describe the way energy transforms.
In Semester 2 you will:
- analyse light, lenses, and sound
- explore the human body and its systems
- investigate minerals and fossils
- participate in various science challenges.
What do you do?
You will have opportunities to build on your skills in the areas of:
- inquiry (by asking questions)
- investigation (by finding stuff out)
- experimentation (by completing practical activities)
- applying your knowledge (by completing activities throughout each week).
Each Unit includes practical activities.
Each week there is an online lesson.
What skills do you develop?
By the end of the year you should have developed skills to:
- think scientifically
- make informed decisions about your lifestyle, the environment and the kind of society you wish to live in
- continue to develop and enhance your curiosity, and a spirit of inquiry about the world around you.
You must have access to the internet in order to access this course.
Weekly work will be completed and submitted online. You will be using the Stile app to complete most of your work in this course.
Students will require some writing and drawing materials for different activities in Year 8 Science.
Practical investigations will require students to use equipment and materials from around the house or easily purchased from their local shops.
Things you can do now
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.