Year 8 Health and Physical Education
Year 8 Health and Physical Education is an engaging, hands-on subject, which aims to develop you into an active and health-conscious student.
You will explore:
- health issues affecting young people
- various ways to improve fitness
- mental health
How can you do study Physical Education online?
You will engage in the physical aspect of PE by:
- completing weekly tasks
- sharing to an online forum called The Gym
- completing an online physical activity journal
- undertaking a range of different physical activities and sports.
You will provide evidence of physical activity participation in the form of pictures, videos and journals, along with feedback around your participation to your teachers and peers.
What do you do?
In Health you will:
- investigate mental health and relevant support services
- look at ways to actively reduce stress
- set achievable goals
- learn basic first aid
- examine personal identity.
In Physical Education you will:
- explore stress releasing physical activity
- identify a sport specific skill to improve
- learn about traditional Indigenous games
- complete high intensity interval training
- improve your close movement control.
What skills do you develop?
Health and Physical Education helps to:
- Improve spatial awareness and coordination
- Incorporate technology and physical activity
- Build resilience
- Give you confidence in building relationships
- Improve sport specific skills
- Maintain and build on physical fitness
- Improve mindfulness.
- appropriate gear for participation in physical activity
- appropriate apps for the different physical activities
- access to the online learning environment
- use of a pedometer
Things you can do now
- If you are already an active person, start recording your daily activity
- If you are not active, do some research to find an activity you may like to try
- Be conscious of your food choices
- Maybe suggest to the family to find an active activity you can all do together. For example, going for walks or bike rides together on a regular basis
- Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.