Year 8 Health and Physical Education
The Year 7 Health and Physical Education course is a hands-on and engaging subject, which focuses on fostering the development of active and health-conscious students.
Students engage in the physical aspect of PE by completing adaptive weekly tasks, sharing to an online forum known as The Gym, completing a physical activity journal and adhering to the National Physical Activity Guidelines. They provide evidence in the form of pictures / videos and journals showing regular participation in physical activity and feedback around their participation to their teachers and peers, and actively seek ways to improve their skill and fitness levels.
In Health students look at successful goal-setting strategies, personal identity and explore the sexual and mental development of adolescents. They explore the role of nutrition in their lives, discuss emotions and learn basic first aid skills.
We aim to help students recognise the importance of a holistic approach to their health and wellbeing.
What do you do?
In this subject students participate in:
- winter sports skill development>
- interval training
- goal setting
- uploading to Videos/pictures participating in physical activity to The Gym
- the 10,000 Step challenge
- developing training programs
- multicultural games>
- anger management
- working in groups
- using skill rubrics
- sharing reflections via discussion forums
What skills do you develop?
Students build their:
- physical capabilities
- specific movement skills
- spatial awareness
- use of specific fitness and nutritional apps
- communication skills
- coping strategies
- healthy lifestyle skills
You will also need:
- appropriate gear for participation in physical activity
- appropriate apps for the different physical activities
- access to the online learning environment
- use of a pedometer
Things you can do now
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.