Year 8 English
The theme of Year 8 English is Challenge. You are invited on the Hero’s Journey, where you’ll explore how stories work, to discover what makes your favourite films, books and shows so great.
You’ll explore parallel worlds from science fiction and fantasy, and look at familiar worlds in new ways. You’ll meet characters from fiction and history, alien planets and Earth.
What do you do?
Students will complete activities including:
- building a folio about the stages of the Hero’s Journey
- researching the background of a novel or film
- sharing and working on ideas in online forums
- helping improve your skills and those of other students through workshops
- making videos or presentations arguing an opinion on controversial issues
- working in teams to study novels, movies and internet texts
What skills do you develop?
Students will work on:
- reading and viewing with critical eyes and ears
- expression through writing and speaking
- creation of fictional, argumentative and informative texts
- choice of images and words to create an effect
- persuasive ability, using rhetoric, logic and emotional appeals
- ability to discuss complex issues, where the right and wrong is not always clear
- Crow Country, Kate Constable
- Chocky, John Wyndham
- A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula Le Guin
- Only Ever Always, Penni Russon
You must have access to the internet in order to access this course. Weekly work will be completed and submitted online.
Things you can do now
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.
Things to have a look at
What makes a hero?