Year 8 Digital Technology
Learning in Digital Technology focuses on developing your understanding and skills in computational thinking, data storage and representation. You will also study how computer networks operate and explore the field of robotics.
The subject explores algorithms, computational thinking and programming with students doing an online course using drag and drop programming blocks. It culminates in using your newfound skills to build and program robots.
What do you do?
In studying this subject you will:
- analyse various types of computer networks such as LANs, WANs and wireless networks
- develop simple black and white, and colour images using binary
- building and programming robots to carry out simple procedures.
What skills do you develop?
You will develop skills including:
- computational thinking
- representing images and sounds computationally
- data representation
- creating digital solutions and the design process.
Weekly work will be completed and submitted online.
You will also need to join code.org, which is a third-party website, where all the programming lessons take place.
Things you can do now
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.