Year 8 Design Technology (Materials)
In this course you will look at Computer Aided Design (CAD) and work with a cloud-based program called Tinkercad. This will help you to develop the skills needed to create a product in CAD suitable for 3D printing. By following Tinkercad lessons, you will build on your knowledge and skills to reproduce a small puzzle that can be 3D printed. You will study design elements, be introduced to the design brief, and work within the framework of the design brief. You will also develop your own designs for a product of your choice that can be produced on a 3D printer.
What do you do?
In studying this subject you will:
- reproduce a small puzzle that can be 3D printed
- develop your own designs for a product of your choice that can be produced on a 3D printer
- apply your design brief considerations and constraints to research material suitability for your product
- share your design ideas with your teacher and other students
- use feedback and research to finalise your design ideas
- use preset evaluation criteria to assess the suitability of your design ideas.
What skills do you develop?
You will develop skills including:
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) skills
- problem solving
- verbal communication
- visual communication.
Things you can do now
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.