Year 7 English
In Year 7 English, you read and view a variety of texts and learn to respond analytically and creatively. In Semester One you will read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs. In Semester Two, the focus is on the film, Paper Planes.
Throughout the year you will work with a range of other texts including short fiction, poetry, multi-media, social media and non-fiction to explore how language communicates ideas. You have the opportunity to create your own audio, visual, multi-modal and written texts and to respond creatively and imaginatively throughout the course.
You will be introduced to new aspects of grammar and literacy skills and supported to develop your ability to use language appropriately for a range of different audiences and purposes.
What do you do?
You will complete activities including:
- reflective writing, listening and speaking and presenting
- viewing and creating multi-modal texts (screencasts, podcasts, vodcasts, interactive timelines, graphic short fiction, comics)
- reading and responding to a long fictional work (Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children)
- viewing and responding to a feature film (Paper Planes)
- delivering oral presentations (book reviews, opinion and analysis)
- expressing opinions and responses to issues orally
- expressing personal reflections orally
- listening to classmates’ presentations and giving oral responses
- writing essays (persuasive and analytical)
- developing and producing creative responses to texts
- developing vocabulary and completing grammar activities
- classifying and summarising texts and features of texts.
What skills do you develop?
Reading and viewing:
- reading for comprehension and meaning
- understanding of fictional and real world texts
- summarising texts
- making connections between texts and ideas
- connecting texts to personal experience.
Speaking and listening:
- reflecting on learning (using audio files)
- presenting book reviews (using video files)
- doing PowerPoint presentations
- presenting opinions and reflections for collaboration with classmates.
Writing and presenting:
- analysing films and books
- expressing responses creatively (written, audio, video forms)
- writing persuasively
- analysing persuasive strategies
- using grammar effectively
- proofreading and editing
- using rubrics to plan and self-assess.
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Paper Planes (2014, film) director Robert Connolly
Things you can do now
You will be able to access a copy of Paper Planes in the course once you have access to it, but you may wish to obtain your own copy and view it prior to starting.
Paper Planes (film, 2014), director Robert Connolly
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.