Year 7 Design Technology (Food)
This course will introduce you to the design process where you will investigate, generate, plan, produce and evaluate dishes to a range of design briefs.
You will explore a range of topics including food safety and hygiene in the kitchen, cooking processes, sensory properties of foods, nutrition and sustainability.
What do you do?
In studying this subject you will:
- analyse a range of design briefs and follow the design process to create suitable dishes
- develop and apply sequenced production plans
- complete practical productions following relevant safety and hygiene practices
- select and use appropriate equipment and technologies to produce high quality designed solutions
- analyse and evaluate design solutions
- analyse the sensory properties of dishes produced
- use technology to record and share practical work.
What skills do you develop?
You will develop skills including:
- safe food handling and hygiene practices
- research and problem solving
- experience designing and planning dishes
- time management and organisation
- food preparation techniques.
You will need access to a kitchen and a camera to take photographs of your production work. The cost of the food will need to be covered by you.
Things you can do now
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.