Year 7 Design Technology (Food)
This course will introduce students to the design process where they will investigate, generate, plan, produce and evaluate dishes to a range of design briefs.
Students will explore a range of topics including food safety and hygiene in the kitchen, cooking processes, sensory properties of foods, nutrition and sustainability.
What do you do?
In studying this subject you will:
- analyse a range of design briefs and follow the design process to create suitable dishes
- develop and apply sequenced production plans
- complete practical productions following relevant safety and hygiene practices
- select and use appropriate equipment and technologies to produce high quality designed solutions
- analyse and evaluate design solutions
- analyse the sensory properties of dishes produced
- use technology to record and share practical work.
What skills do you develop?
You will develop skills including:
- safe food handling and hygiene practices
- research and problem solving
- experience designing and planning dishes
- time management and organisation
- food preparation techniques.
Students need to provide their own materials / ingredients, have access to a kitchen and provide photographic evidence of their practical work.
Note: Students who are travelling need to take into account access to ingredients and equipment
Things you can do now
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.