Year 10 Research
This course will enable you to explore an area of interest in depth, while also developing practical research and thinking skills.
You choose a research question that is of interest to you. The term “research” is used broadly and may include practical or technical investigations, formal research, or exploratory inquiries.
You can choose to present your final research product in written, oral, or multimodal form.
What do you do?
In studying this subject you will:
- complete weekly online activities
- develop an online folio that demonstrates your research development and thinking
- develop a Final Research Product.
The Final Research Product can take a number of forms, such as:
- written results, conclusions, recommendations, or solutions to a problem or question (e.g. an essay, a report, a booklet, or an article)
- a product (e.g. an artifact, a manufactured article, or a work of art or literature) and a producer’s statement
- a display or exhibition with annotations
- a multimedia presentation and podcast
- a performance (live or recorded) with a supporting statement.
In Module A Plan, students creatively brainstorm various research ideas and problems, develop a research question from the identified problem, and justify the importance and significance of their research question.
In Module B Gather, students develop research skills in collecting, organising and engaging with credible sources in their field of study.
In Module C Create, students plan, construct and create a research project draft and present their research findings in a Final Research Product.
Module D Share and Reflect, students reflect on the research process and assess what aspect of research planning worked well and what might be modified in a future research project.
What skills do you develop?
You will develop skills including the ability to:
- question sources of information
- make effective decisions
- evaluate your own progress
- be innovative
- solve problems.
To make a start on thinking and choosing an appropriate and achievable research question, you can watch the following video:
Things you can do now
Contact the DECV to discuss your proposed research project ideas. Please phone 03 8480 0000 and ask to speak to the Yr 10 Research Teacher. We would be delighted to hear about your proposed research and to talk more about the Research subject.
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.