Information for registered Home Schoolers
Distance Education Centre Victoria and Home Schooling – What is the difference?
The Distance Education Centre Victoria (DECV) is a Victorian Government school that provides flexible learning opportunities to Victorian students who are unable to attend mainstream schooling. Students enrolling at the DECV are taught by DECV teachers and access learning programs that are personalised for each individual student. Many students enrolled at the DECV learn from home with a nominated supervisor and do not attend daily scheduled classes. In order to directly enrol with the DECV students must meet our eligibility criteria. Different enrolment categories require different supporting documentation to be submitted.
Home schooling is where a family takes responsibility for teaching their children at home. Families who home school their children are registered to do this with the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA). Registered Home Schooling families select appropriate learning materials for their children’s learning program. It is not possible to be both registered for Home Schooling and be enrolled as a DECV student at the same time.
Purchase of curriculum materials for registered home schooling families
Distance Education Centre Victoria will no longer be providing our current or previous printed learning materials for purchase by registered home schooling families.
Enrolment in years 10-12 for Home Schoolers
Students who are currently registered for Home Schooling with the VRQA and have made a decision to return to mainstream schooling for their senior years (Year 10, Year 11 or Year 12), can apply to enrol directly into a full time Year 10 or VCE program with the DECV in 2018. 2017 Enrolments are now closed.
The DECV operates on the same term dates as all other Victorian Government Schools. The dates for 2018 are:
Term 1: 30 January to 29 March
Term 2: 16 April to 29 June*
Term 3: 16 July to 21 September
Term 4: 8 October to 21 December
The school year is broken into two semesters. For F-10 students, Semester One covers the first and second terms and Semester Two covers third and fourth terms.
*For 11-12 students, Semester One commences on 30 January and Semester Two commences on Monday 18 June, two weeks before the end of Term Two.
Year 10 Enrolments
For students enrolling in Year 10, 2018 enrolments are open from 16 October 2017 until 27 July 2018. Students intending to start the school year at the DECV are encouraged to submit their enrolment application as early as possible to enable them to commence at the start of Term One.
For Year 11 and 12 students, enrolment applications are open for the following periods.
Enrolments open: Monday 16 October 2017
Semester starts: Tuesday 30 January 2018
Late enrolments will not be accepted after: Friday 9 February 2018
Year 11 subject enrolments only
Enrolments open: Monday 30 April 2018
Semester starts: Monday 18 June 2018
Late enrolments will not be accepted
In order to enrol into a Year 10 or VCE program with the Distance Education Centre Victoria, students will need to satisfy the following requirements:
- Have been registered for home schooling with the VRQA, or an equivalent authority in other States, for the previous consecutive period of 12 months or more.
- Provide written notice of their cancellation of home schooling registration.
- Be prepared to undertake a full time program of study with the DECV.
- Students enrolling into VCE will need to attend the Distance Education Centre Victoria (315 Clarendon Street, Thornbury) to complete moderated assessments of their literacy and numeracy capabilities as part of the enrolment process.
How to apply
- Notify the VRQA of your intention to cancel your registration as a Home Schooler, in order to enrol at the DECV.
- Students enrolling into VCE only:
- Make an appointment to attend the DECV to complete two hour-long, computer-based moderated assessments in literacy and numeracy, by emailing email@example.com. You will need to propose a date and time during school terms, arriving between 9am and 2pm. The DECV enrolment staff will confirm this date and time with you.
- The two assessments will be completed online under supervision. The online literacy and numeracy testing is designed to be challenging, but not too-challenging, and will provide useful information for you and your future DECV teachers in the planning of your program.
- Download and complete a 2018 F-12 Enrolment Handbook
- Alongside your completed enrolment application, you should attach a proof of age (birth certificate or passport), confirmation of previous home schooling registration, and confirmation of home schooling deregistration from the VRQA.
- The materials charge for all students enrolling with the DECV is $160 per year or $80 for one semester.